Inbound marketers are constantly looking for ways to generate more leads from their websites and increase conversion. But in order to convert, you need to direct people to your website in the first place.
To increase the conversion rate, as a marketer you need a clever and creative lead generation strategy.
With a clear, direct focus on digital communication channels, you can create impactful results, driving organic traffic, generating new leads and stimulating growth.
There are various ways in which you can get creative in lead generation and we highlight 7 steps below, all geared towards digital optimisation to accelerate growth and boost revenue.
1. Improve SEO – research keywords
Research is key to developing an approach in directing more traffic to your website. It’s important to know your goals and objectives and how you aim to achieve them.
If you are determined to increase web traffic, you would have to research your audience, the competition and of course, keywords. Research in these areas would save time and money in the long-term.
- Audience research: is fundamental in devising marketing strategy. By understanding your audience in terms of persona, interests, challenges, habits etc, you will be able to deliver content which is tailored and specific to their needs through your social media vehicles and website.
- Competitor research: by looking at the competition in terms of the type of content they produce and how they deliver it etc, you have the opportunity to see how effective their content is.
2. Optimise website
Ensuring that visitors stay on your website after landing there and even revisiting means that it must be fast and responsive. How you maintain visitor interest can be achieved by:
- Website traffic stats: measuring and tracking of website traffic through key metrics such as unique visitors, page views, average time spent on the website and bounce rates provides a clear picture of how well your website is serving you.
- Easy navigation: visitors should be able to move around the website easily from one area to another via the internal content links. Clarity and ease of navigation encourage visitors to remain on the site, creating a positive user experience.
- Comprehensive and engaging copy: the provision of clear and concise content which not only informs but also engages, guides the visitor through their website journey in a more entertaining way.
- On-page optimisation: each website page should contain a unique keyword and description, which will strengthen its visibility in search engines, thereby leading to increased traffic.
- Internal links: use of relevant internal links will help to drive visitors to move across the website with ease. The inclusion of anchor text which links to relevant content will ensure that visitors are able to access information of specific value. However, it’s important to note here that links should not be included unnecessarily - only as appropriate and where relevant.
- Mobile-friendly: the increasing use of mobile phones means that websites now need to look presentable and function well on mobile as well as desktop devices.
3. Create and optimise strong content
Strong content is one of the most effective ways in which to generate business leads. Pivotal to maximising the benefits of strong content is how it catches attention and interest and is attuned to the audience. Also important is that it is clear, comprehensive and that it and tells a story, includes visuals such as up-to-date infographics and videos, ultimately maintaining engagement. Even optimising titles/headlines for search and social traffic should be considered.
Audit content periodically to ensure that it is accurate, up-to-date and relevant, updating and improving as and where necessary. For example, review the content in terms of quality (writing and images), clarity, titles, links and formatting, even examining its usefulness as a modified blog.
4. Introduce blogs
Blogging is one of the most popular methods used to increase website traffic and generate new leads. By assessing your brand in terms of its offering, you need to consider how important it is for you to persuade people to visit your website and how often.
Blogs are tools which enable visitors to return to your website whilst simultaneously improving SEO as new content is added to the webpage. The higher the frequency of blog posts, the greater the level of traffic and leads generated. In order to maintain consistency, blog releases should be scheduled at highly active times.
Blogs have the benefit of not only being posted on the website, but also sent as an email to subscribers and posted on social media. Therefore, one blog is capable of generating new leads from numerous sources. Going one step further is to guest blog on an external website, even incorporating links back to your website and the successful redirected clicks by those unfamiliar with your brand would form new leads.
5. Keep active on social media
Social media is being used at an ever-increasing rate all around the world. It is not just a means to purely post content. It is much more than that.
Social media is a vehicle that should be used to keep in constant contact with your audience, creating regular interaction and steady engagement. Accordingly, content must be optimised for each social media channel being utilised. You can then observe and note what does well and what doesn’t.
The growth of LinkedIn in B2B marketing has become a leading platform for professionals in sharing content, informing and engaging the audience. Posts that encourage engagement create more followers. This should, therefore, be taken as an opportunity to communicate directly with them to influence new leads.
However, social media followers of your brand may not necessarily be visitors to your website and so by inserting website links within the post, you can drive traffic directly to your website.
As with blogs, the more regular the posting of content on social media, the more likely you are to receive an increase in clicks and escalating traffic. Furthermore, by using unique links to track sources of traffic, you can ascertain which channels generate the most traffic and which posts achieve the highest engagement rates.
6. Influencer marketing
Asking industry influencers to guest blog or interviewing thought leaders on relevant discussion topics provides credibility to your website and helps promote your brand. Your brand has the potential to reach a wider audience through influencer endorsements.
Influencers maintain high levels of engagement with their followers and as known and trusted ambassadors, they can increase your products/services credibility. Therefore, new leads will accept the legitimacy of your brand through social influencer recommendation.
7. Support existing contacts
As businesses look for new and potential clients or customers, existing ones are often forgotten about. But they do provide a good resource and so will need a nudge every now and then to remind them of the value of your products/services, especially since they had been interested at one time.
So how do you go about jogging their memory?
- Email communication
Regular email communication enables you to maintain a relationship with your clients, provide interaction with your brand and drive regular website traffic with as little effort as possible.
As a tool, the benefits are that you can automate, adapt your communications and personalise your messages.
- Host webinars
Webinars are the ideal channel in which to convey industry knowledge and provide something of value to your contacts.
When marketed properly via emails and social media channels, you have the potential to yield the biggest potential audience to your website.
- Attend conferences
A great way to expose your brand is by attending conferences. Conferences facilitate personal, one-to-one contact with potential clients. The interaction with other delegates creates curiosity about your brand, resulting in an assured boost in website traffic and lead generation.
As separate concepts, website traffic and lead generation are both vital to your business’ success and go hand-in-hand as part of your overall strategy. Ultimately, when improved, both can generate increased conversion rates and greater income.
If you want more tips on best practice SEO in the highly-regulated financial services world, you can download a copy of our SEO tips for financial services firms. The tipsheet is free and available in our resource library.
Nothing in this document should be treated as an authoritative statement of the law. Action should not be taken as a result of this document alone. We make no warranty and accept no responsibility for consequences arising from relying on this document.